In my family, my grandmother was never told anything positive about herself. My mother- the same. There weren’t comments about "how proud." This was true on my dad’s side of the family as well. I worked really hard to change this.
Families pass many things down from one generation to the next. The good china, family stories – and sometimes, some toxic traits, too.
It’s hard work to break those cycles that do harm. But it’s so worth the effort. When you do, you make it easier for your children to do even better when they raise their children – with less effort.
If you’re ready to break the cycle, here are 5 steps you can take now:
1. Awareness is the first step. You have to be aware that a change is needed.
2. You have to want the change. You have to set your intention.
3. You have to practice changing your behavior.
4. Be gentle with yourself while your working to make the change. Don’t give up!
5. You have to realize when you get it right – and celebrate that!
Break cycles, not china!
We’d love to hear any victories you’ve had!